Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 08/08/2022 23:59
The Register Office, 33 Thorpe Road, Peterborough PE3 6AB
£15,556 - £17,504
Registering births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships in and around Peterborough. This is a demanding but rewarding role.
We are looking for someone to join the team at Peterborough Register Office as a Deputy Registrar. This will involve registering births and deaths as well as registering and conducting marriage and civil partnership ceremonies.
You will need to be able to learn, understand and apply the legalities underpinning registration, and show calmness and sensitivity in difficult and emotional situations. Excellent people skills are vital, as is the ability to speak confidently before large groups.
Excellent attention to detail is needed, along with the ability to carry out the administrative and financial tasks that support the service.
Flexibility is essential – ceremonies take place on weekends throughout the year, including during school holidays, with the summer months being busiest. Work will be allocated through a rota, but you may be called upon to provide cover at short notice both at weekends and during the week.
You’ll be working both individually and as part of a team, with the role varying from one day to the next. We are committed to providing an outstanding level of customer service.
Working within Registration is an enormously rewarding job but, in reality, it can also be difficult and demanding. It’s an opportunity to be a vital part of some of the most important moments in people’s lives. If you feel that you have the experience, skills and enthusiasm for this, we would love to hear from you.
Regulation 5 of the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages Regulations 1968 (SI 1968/2049) specifies the disqualifications for a registration officer which are:
• an undischarged bankrupt and/or a person to whom a moratorium period under a Debt
Relief Order applies or who is the subject of a Debt Relief Restrictions Order or an interim Debt Relief Restrictions Order;
• a person who is, or has been during the 12 months preceding the date on which the appointment is to take effect, a member of the council or of a committee of the council having duties in relation to the appointment of registration officers;
• an officer or servant, other than the clerk or deputy clerk, of a LA employed by them in the performance of duties relating to their functions as a burial authority;
• a person holding office as an authorised person, secretary (for marriages) of a synagogue or
registering officer of the Society of Friends;
• a minister of religion, a medical practitioner, a midwife, an undertaker or other person
concerned in a burial or cremation business, a person engaged in any business concerned with life insurance, or a person engaged in any other calling which would conflict with or prevent the proper performance of the duties of the office for which he is a candidate.
We are proud to serve the diverse communities of Cambridgeshire/Peterborough and want our workforce to reflect this diversity, which we believe is beneficial for our employees, the organisation and the communities we serve.
This job is closed for applications.