Ceremony Officer (Casual)
Casual / Seasonal / Bank
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
The Register Office, 33 Thorpe Road, Peterborough PE3 6AB
£10.41 to £11.49 per hour
Casual -Varies depending on business need
Would you like the opportunity to be part of one of the most important events in many people’s lives?
We are looking for new colleagues to join the team at Peterborough Register Office as ceremony officers – the role will involve conducting and registering marriage, civil partnership and other ceremonies at a range of venues in and around Peterborough.
You will need to be friendly and outgoing, able to speak confidently before large groups of people, show calmness and sensitivity at an emotional time and take responsibility for leading or registering ceremonies. Before and after the ceremonies there will also be a range of administrative tasks to carry out, including preparing the necessary documents, entering details of the ceremony onto a computer system, and completing a cashbook.
You will possess excellent people skills, the ability to pay close attention to detail, administrative and cash-handling experience, and the willingness to learn and apply the legalities underpinning the ceremonies.
Flexibility and availability are essential as the ceremonies will take place on weekends throughout the year, including during school holidays, with the summer months being busiest. Work will be allocated through a rota, but you may be called upon to provide cover at short notice. The posts available are on a casual contract, with no guaranteed minimum hours.
If you feel that you have the skills, commitment, flexibility and enthusiasm for this rewarding role, we would love to hear from you.
Regulation 5 of the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages Regulations 1968 (SI 1968/2049) specifies the disqualifications for a registration officer which are:
• an undischarged bankrupt and/or a person to whom a moratorium period under a Debt
Relief Order applies or who is the subject of a Debt Relief Restrictions Order or an interim Debt Relief Restrictions Order;
• a person who is, or has been during the 12 months preceding the date on which the appointment is to take effect, a member of the council or of a committee of the council having duties in relation to the appointment of registration officers;
• an officer or servant, other than the clerk or deputy clerk, of a LA employed by them in the performance of duties relating to their functions as a burial authority;
• a person holding office as an authorised person, secretary (for marriages) of a synagogue or
registering officer of the Society of Friends;
• a minister of religion, a medical practitioner, a midwife, an undertaker or other person
concerned in a burial or cremation business, a person engaged in any business concerned with life insurance, or a person engaged in any other calling which would conflict with or prevent the proper performance of the duties of the office for which he is a candidate.
We are proud to serve the diverse communities of Cambridgeshire/Peterborough and want our workforce to reflect this diversity, which we believe is beneficial for our employees, the organisation and the communities we serve.